Sunday, July 19, 2009

Broccoli Salad


There is a broccoli salad that makes a very regular appearance on the buffet table at the hall where I occasionally cater. It's delicious - and I've finally found a recipe that is it's equal.

I typically don't enjoy raw broccoli - steamed or roasted, yes please! When raw, it's the thought of all those little flowery pieces getting stuck in my teeth. Not to mention I'm not a huge fan of the flavor of raw broccoli...

This salad's main ingredient happens to be raw broccoli...and I love it. Sunflower seeds, raisins, red onion, bacon and a dressing to tie it all together - it becomes a textural sensation in your mouth.

The LA Times initially published this recipe as part of a 'best of' potluck recipes article, way back in 1999. The Food Librarian recently posted about it, where it caught my eye.

I've made this salad several times and I'm sure we'll be eating it a lot more this summer - it's a fantastic cold side dish.

Broccoli Salad
The Food Librarian via The Los Angeles Times
Makes 10-12 servings

Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Blend, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Assembly:
1 1/2-2 lbs broccoli florets
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup salted sunflower seeds
1 small red onion, chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

In a large bowl, combine broccoli, sunflower seeds, onion and bacon. Just before serving, add dressing to broccoli and stir well.



Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

snoopy said...

it's jen we use apple cider vinager instead of white wine vinager... :) pretty much the same effect though

Kay said...

Ok, why in the world did I never see this blog?! Loved what I saw while scrolling down the first page. Gotta go to bed, but will read more tomorrow (and am putting it in my Google Reader tonight).
Mmmmm, I love broccoli salad! And I wanna check out those pb&j bars some more too. And i saw a choc cake to die for...

Jenna said...

Love your blog!! MMM!! makes me hungry and I love your pics!